Venue: Sastri Hall, Luz, Mylapore, Chennai
Date: 14th Dec 2006
Vocal: Smt. Pantula Rama
Violin: Sri M.S.N. Murthy
Mridangam: Sri Vellore Ramabhadran
Ghatam: Sri N. Guruprasad
I reached the concert about 10 min late and left a bit early to reach Sri Karaikkudi Mani’s taniavartanam concert on time. Here is the partial song list:
* sharaNu sidhi vinAyakA – sOwrAshtram – misra chApu – purandaradAsa
* mArubalka – srIranjani – Adi – thyAgarAja (AS)
* sarasa sAma dAna – kApinArAyaNi – Adi – thyAgarAja (O)
* rAmA vishAla vikrama (viruttam) – pantuvarALi
ennagAnu rAma bhajana – pantuvarALi – rUpakam – bhadrAchala rAmdAs (NS)
* nA jIvadArA – bilahari – Adi – thyAgarAja (ANST)
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
A top class concert in which the rasikas never stopped saying “sabaash” or “bale”. This is the first time I am hearing Smt. Pantula Rama live. I knew that I was in for some good quality music having listened to a few of her recordings on AIR before and quality music was what she delivered. The srIranjani alapana was, for example, pure gold.
I was left wanting for more when I had to move after the bilahari composition. Hope I do get to listen to at least to one full concert of hers this season.