The Chinese character for listening is Ting.
What can we learn from it about listening?
1) Use your ears to hear what the other person speaks.
2) Maintain eye contact. Use your (10) eyes to pick up any non-verbal messages conveyed. The body language. The facial expression.
3) Focus. Be one with the other person. Give the other person your ‘one’ undivided attention.
4) Treat the other person like royalty (king). Make them feel valued.
5) Use your heart. Show genuine empathy.
I learnt about “Ting” thanks to Janaki Sabesh who spoke about it in one of our Parenting with Depth sessions.
(Image source: https://www.codevelop.co/)