Percussive Arts Centre celebrated “Talavadhyotsav”, its music concert fest last week at the Bangalore Gayana Samaja auditorium in K.R. Road, Bangalore. I came to know about the fest only on Friday and hence managed to attend Sanjay Subramanyam‘s vocal concert that day. Sanjay, as usual, performed really well. The kamboji raga alapana was a treat to the ears.
Need to mention about the mridangam artist Anoor Ananthakrishna Sarma. I had first heard him about 2-3 years back in an Akashwani Sangeet Sammelan concert in Delhi and was quite impressed by his control over the calculations and over the instrument as such. I could witness the same control and brilliance on seeing him play for Sanjay too. His misra nadai in the taniavartanam was just too good. Though I am no authority to comment on any artist, the one area where I feel he can still improve is playing accompaniment for songs. The more he plays for songs, the more he will be able to play along with the song without giving the audience a feeling of the main artist’s singing and his mridangam accompaniment running as two separate tracks.
Here is the song list of the concert:
Vocal: Sanjay Subramanyam
Mridangam: Anoor Ananthakrishna Sarma
Khanjira: Guru Prasanna
1) varnam (manamOhana) – mOhanam – kanda ata – harikesanallUr muthiAh bhAgavatar
2) jaya jaya – nAttai – kanda chApu – purandaradAsa
3) srI lakshmI – AbhOgi – Adi – muthuswAmi dIkshitar
4) rAma ninnuvinA – sankarAbharanam – rUpaka – thyAgarAja
5) Eti janma – varAli – misra chApu – thyAgarAja
6) evari mAta – kAmbOji – Adi – thyAgarAja
7) mallAri – gambhIranAttai – kanda triputa – ?
8) jayadEva ashtapadi – sindubhairavi – Adi – jayadEva
9) karpagAmbigai – behAg – ?
10) a) petra thAi – viruttam – surutti
b) Adiya pAdathai – surutti – Adi – gOpAlakrishna bhArati
11) bhArata sAmrAjya – dEsh – Adi – mAyuram viswanAtha sAstri
12) bavamAna (mangalam) – sourAshtram – Adi – thyAgarAja