Venue: The Music Academy, TTK Road, Chennai
Date: 18th Oct 2006
Organizer: Kala Mandir Trust
Theme: “Sri Sharada Vandanam” – a collection of songs on Goddess Sharada
Vocal: Sri T.M. Krishna
Violin: Sri Sriram Parasuram
Mridangam: Sri Umayalpuram K. Sivaraman
Ghatam: Sri T.V. Vasan
List of songs:
1) bhArati maddishaNA – dEvamanOhari – rUpakam – muthuswAmi dIkshitar (S)
2) shAradE vINA – dEvagAndhAri – Adi – pApanAsam sivan (A)
3) kalAvatI kamalAsana – kalAvati – muthuswAmi dIkshitar
4) shAradE sadAshrayE – shankarAbharaNam – rUpakam – krishnaswAmi iyer (AS – main)
5) shAradE karuNAnidhE – hamIr kalyANi – misra chApu – chandrasEkara bhArathi
The short dEvagAndhAri raga alapana and the detailed shankarAbharaNam alapana were very well executed both by Sri Krishna and Sri Parasuram. The amplification that was too loud for the first song was brought under some control after a lady from the audience intervened and gave a feedback to the artists on stage. The short taniavartanam played by Sri Umayalpuram Sivaraman and Sri T.V. Vasan was also very good. It involved the chatusra and tisra nadais followed by a kuraippu.
The entire concert lasted for some 1 hr 15 minutes only and just left me wanting for more at the end of it considering the combination of artists that performed on stage.