Venue: Narada Gana Sabha Mini Hall, TTK Road, Chennai
Date: 22 Nov 2006
Occasion: Music and Dance Festival on Smt. Rukmini Ramani’s compositions
Vocal: Carnatica Brothers – Sri Sashikiran & Sri Ganesh
Violin: Sri Mysore Srikanth
Mridangam: Sri Tiruvarur Vaidyanathan
Ghatam: Sri S.V. Ramani
List of songs:
1) un pAdam nambinEn (varNam) – nAgaswarAvaLI – Adi – rukmiNi ramaNi
2) jaganmOhini simhavAhini – jaganmOhini – rUpakam – rukmiNi ramaNi (OS)
3) varam taruvAi – bhUpALam – Adi – rukmiNi ramaNi (AS)
4) srI durgE lalitEshwari – Arabhi – rUpakam – rukmiNi ramaNi (A)
5) sarvAnga sundarI samEta – pUrvikalyANi – misra chApu – rukmiNi ramaNi (ANST)
6) sadAshivA sAmba sadAshivA – rEvati – Adi – rukmiNi ramaNi
7) narahari vEsha nArAyaNanE – sUryA (?) – Adi – rukmiNi ramaNi (O)
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
This is the first time I am hearing Carnatica Brothers sing and I must say that they were very impressive. In fact all the artists on stage excelled in their respective departments while also performing very well as a team to give an enjoyable concert.
Sri Sashikiran used his strong voice with suitable modulations to paint beautiful alapanas of the ragas bhUpALam and pUrvikalyANi. Sri Ganesh used his softer, less powerful voice to do the Arabhi alapana. The choice of songs was also very good, especially because of the ragas in which they were based. Sri Srikanth on the violin was in full form throughout. Sri Tiruvarur Vaidyanathan and Sri Ramani played in a way that matched well with the songs that were being sung. Sri Vaidyanathan was especially effective during the last two thukkada type songs.
The team of Carnatica Brothers, Mysore Srikanth and Tiruvarur Vaidyanathan is performing at many sabhas during the season. I think we can look forward to some very good performances.