Venue: Sivagami Pethachi Auditorium, Luz Church Road, Mylapore, Chennai
Date: 08 Dec 2006
Organizer: Brahma Gana Sabha
Vocal: Sri T.M. Krishna
Violin: Sri Vittal Ramamurthy
Mridangam: Sri Trichy B. Harikumar
List of songs:
1) sarasUDa (varnam) – sAvERi – Adi – kothavAsal venkatrAma iyer
2) srI saraswatI – Arabhi – rUpakam – muthuswAmi dIkshitar (OS)
3) marivErE – Anandabhairavi – misra chApu – syAma sAstri (AS)
4) karuNa ElAgantE – varALi – Adi – thyAgarAja
5) rAgam tAnam pallavi – kAmbOji – tisra tripuTa (2 kaLai)
pallavi wordings: “Ananda naTanamADinAr tadimi tadIm yena kanaka sabayil”
kalpana swarams in ragas kambOji, danyAsi, behAg
6) vAnipondu chaluvadanE – kAnaDA – rUpakam – t. paTTAbirAmayyA
7) karacharaNa kritam (viruttam) – rAgamAlikA (mAyAmALavagOwLa, sAmA, bilahari & darbAri kAnaDA)
jaya jaya shankara – darbAri kAnaDA – Adi – ??
8 ) brUhi mukundEti – kurinji – Adi – sadAsiva brahmEndra
9) mAmava paTTAbhi – maNirangu – misra chApu – muthuswAmi dIkshitar
1o) mangaLam kOsalEndrAya (mangaLa slOkam) – maNirangu
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
Yet another awesome performance by TMK. The concert started off with the sAvEri varnam. I simply love TMK concerts that start with a varnam as he sings them with a lot of azhutham (weight) with the swaram/sahityam falling at the exact place in the tala cycle. He then sang “srI saraswati” in Arabhi with kalpana swarams at “darahAsayuta mukhAmburuhE”.
An elaborate RTP in kAmbOji was the main piece of the evening. The pallavi line in the RTP “Ananda naTanamADinAr tadimi tadIm yena kanaka sabayil” was structured as follows (1B=1 beat): starts 0.5B after samam – A (1B) nanda (1.5B) naTana (1.5B) mADi (1.5B) nAr (+gap = 1.5B) tadimi (1.5B) tadIm (1.5B) yena (1B) kanaka (1.5B) sabayil (1.5B)” – a total of 14 beats which is tisra tripuTa (2 kaLai).
The accompanists played along with TMK very well. Sri Harikumar played a very good taniavartanam comprised of the chatusra and tisra naDais in tisra tripuTa talam.