Venue: Satguru Gnanananda Hall, Narada Gana Sabha, TTK Road, Chennai
Date: 23 Dec 2006
Organizer: Narada Gana Sabha
Vocal: Sri T.N.Seshagopalan (TNS)
Vocal Support: Sri T.N.S. Krishna
Violin: Sri M.Chandrasekaran
Mridangam: Sri Guruvayur Dorai
Ghatam: Sri B.Sree Sundar Kumar
List of songs:
1) nEranammiti (varnam) – kAnaDA – kanDa aTa – ramanAtapuram srInivAsa iyengAr (O)
2) brOvabAramA – bahudAri – Adi – tyAgarAja (S)
3) kaDaikkaN vaittennai – bEgaDa – misra chApu – rAmaswAmi sivan (A)
4) ardhanArIshvaram – kumudakriyA – rUpakam – muthuswAmi dIkshitar (AS)
5) saraguNa pAlimpa – kEdAragOwLa – Adi – rAmanAtapuram srInivAsa iyengAr (ANST)
6) mOhanavallI – mAnji – misra chApu – kavi kunjara bhArati
7) nandalAlA (viruttam) – ??
basE mErE – ?? – Adi – mIrAbAi (?)
8 ) vachana miga – behAg – tisra tripuTa (?) – aruNagirinAthar
9) sriya kAntAya (mangaLa slOkam) – suruTTi
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
To me TNS is like the God of Carnatic Music; he is much higher up there than the best-in-class. Whenever a question arises in my mind after listening to any top class alapana, neraval, kalpana swaram or RTP as to whether there can be something even better than this, I search for and try to hear TNS rendering the same and almost always TNS proves himself to be the best.
The first four songs in the concert were simply awesome. “nEranammiti” varnam was so beautifully rendered bringing out the essence of kAnaDA raga. The kalpana swarams in bahudAri were unimaginably fantastic. kumudakriyA alapana was priceless; the graha bhedam done by TNS using rishabha as the base to give sudha danyAsi like feel just transported me into a different world altogether.
Sri M. Chandrasekaran, for his part, played really well. Sri Guruvayur Dorai and Sri B. Sree Sundar Kumar played a good taniavartanam. Sri Sree Sundar Kumar was very impressive.