Venue: Satguru Gnanananda Hall, Narada Gana Sabha, Chennai
Date: 26 Dec 2006
Organizer: Narada Gana Sabha
Vocal: Sri T.M. Krishna (TMK)
Violin: Sri S. Varadarajan
Mridangam: Sri Karaikudi R. Mani (KRM)
Ghatam: Sri V. Suresh
List of songs:
1) sAmI daya (varnam) – kEdAragowLa – Adi – tiruvOtriyUr tyAgayyA
2) vinatA suta vAhana – jayantasEnA – Adi – thyAgarAja (S)
3) parama kripA sAgarI – yadukulakAmbOji – rUpakam – g.n.bAlasubramaNiam (AS)
4) santAna rAmaswAminam – hindOLavasantam – Adi – muthuswAmi dIkshitar
5) kalikiyunTE – kIravANi – Adi – thyAgarAja (ANST)
6) rAgam tAnam pallavi – sahAnA – kanDa tripuTa (2 kaLai)
pallavi wordings: “vaDivElanai nidam pOTruvOm, vaiyam ellAm aruL purindu kAkkum”
kalpanA swaram in sahAnA, kalyANi and madyamAvati
7) sarvam brahmamayam – madhuvanti – Adi – sadAsiva brahmEndra (O)
8 ) irakkam varAmal – behAg – rUpakam – gOpAlakrishna bhArati
9) vAzhiya sentamizh – madyamAvati – Adi – subramaNya bhArati
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
TMK’s concerts are almost always such a hit. What else to expect in a concert that had four accomplished artists sitting on stage and performing together !!!! Be it the yadukulakAmbOji alapana or the kalpana swarams for “parama kripA sAgari” or the elaborate kIravANi alapana, TMK left the stamp of his mastery everywhere. What better violinist to accompany him than one of the best in business today – Sri S. Varadarajan !! He is such a delight to hear and an asset to any concert he performs in.
Mridangam maestro Sri Karaikudi R. Mani and ghatam vidwan Sri V. Suresh are no strangers to each other. The numerous occasions on which they have played together made the taniavartanam, which comprised of chatusra and tisra naDais, an excellent one. Sri Karaikudi R. Mani also accompanied well for all the songs, especially “vinatA suta vAhana“.
Here is something for you to check when you go to your next TMK concert ….. don’t know if this can be termed as a superstition, but one of the things I have seen TMK do diligently in the last 4-5 of his concerts is sing the first song with his wristwatch on and remove the wristwatch when the second song starts.