Venue: Sringeri Jagadguru Pravachana Mandiram, Sringeri Mutt Road, R.A.Puram , Chennai
Date: 10 Mar 2007
Organizer: Raja Annamalaipuram Bhakta Jana Sabha
Vocal: Sri Madurai G.S. Mani
Violin: Sri Sikkil Bhaskaran
Mrudangam: Sri Madrimangalam Swaminathan
List of songs:
1) inta chAlamu (varnam) – bEgaDa – Adi – vINai kuppaiyer (O)
2) varaguNa gambhIra gajavadanam – kAnaDA – Adi – madurai g.s. maNi
3) rArA mAyiNTi – asAvEri – Adi – thyAgarAja
4) manavyALakin – naLinakAnti – Adi – thyAgarAja (AS)
5) mEru samAna – mAyAmALavagowLa – Adi – thyAgarAja (ANST)
6) srI rAma pAdamA – amritavAhini – Adi – thyAgarAja
7) chalamElarA – mArgahindOLam – Adi – thyAgarAja
8 ) mucchaTa brahmAdulaku – madyamAvati – Adi – thyAgarAja (A)
9) chinna nADE nA – kalAnidhi – Adi – thyAgarAja
10) viruttam – yamunA kalyANi
namAcha bajara panDarI (abhang) – yamunA kalyANi – chatusra Ekam -sant bAlakadAsa
11) dO din kA zindagi (viruttam) – ??
bhajO rE bhaiya – ?? – Adi – kabIr
12) slOkam – sindhubhairavi
bhajarE srI rAmam – sindhubhairavi – Adi – bhadrAchala rAmadAs
13) dhiranA tana ta dhIm (tillAnA) – kAnaDA – Adi – jalatarangam bAbu iyengAr ?
14) Eru mayil – rEvagupti – kanDa chApu – aruNagirinAtar
15) nI nAma rUpa mulaku (mangaLam) – sowrAshTram – Adi – thyAgarAja
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
The bEgaDa outline with which Sri G.S. Mani started this concert was simply out of the world. The use of three not-commonly-heard-but-beautiful patterns in the outline had me floored. The bEgaDa varnam was elevated by Sri Swaminathan’s mrudangam accompaniment which was full of beautiful ghumukis. The second song was truly top class stuff. kAnaDA rAga just flowed with all its beauty. Sri G.S. Mani sang the song beautifully. I think it is his own composition as it has the mudra “rAjapUjitar” in it. This is probably the most brilliant start to a concert I have seen in a long time now. The other highlight of the concert was Sri G.S.Mani’s good rendition of some of the kritis.
5 thoughts on “Madurai G.S. Mani @ Sringeri Mutt, Chennai”
Still online?Just saw this post.Did you attend the lec dem by TMK at IIT?
I couldn’t attend the lec dem by TMK as I couldn’t resist going to the TNS concert at RA Puram (Commuting to and from the venue of the lec dem which is located in the interiors of IITM is also not an easy job if one doesn’t have a vehicle).
I heard the lec dem was very good.
Hi I have a suggestion. Can you add the Search widget to the sidebar? Since your blog has a lot of songs, their raagas, composer, etc., it would be easier to search for info about a song if you add the search sidebar widget.
Done. The search box is at the top of the sidebar.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I know shri.Madurai.G.S.Mani S/o shri.M.S.Gopalaswamu Iyer, No.1, west avani moola street right from my child hood.His maternal Uncle Shri.Kodimangalam Balu was an Member of Parliament.his father was a honorary magistrate.As a resident of kakatope street, I saw him actively participating the thiyagarja utsavam at our street. which was conducted by Shri.Ramarao, advocate Asoka opticals mani. Besides we use to meet at the house of Dr.K.Venkatramans house at teppakulam street along with sri.A.Ramachandran S/o V.Akhilandeswara Iyer Retd.Deputy collector. he is singing well .
i wish him a lovng life