Venue: Karpaga Vinayagar Temple, Karpagam Gardens, Chennai
Date: 24 Mar 2007
Organizer: Karpaga Gardens Sat Sangh
Vocal: Sri Sanjay Subrahmanyan
Violin: Sri S. Varadarajan
Mrudangam: Sri Neyveli B. Venkatesh
Ghatam: Sri N. Guruprasad
List of songs:
1) ninnE kOri (varnam) – kAnadA – Adi – tiruvOtriyUr tyAgayyA (O)
2) vAraNa mukhavA – hamsadwani – rUpakam – kOTIswara iyer (S)
3) enta rANi – harikAmbOji – Adi – thyAgarAja (NS)
4) arivAr yAr unnai – mukhAri – misra chApu – aruNAchala kavirAyar (A)
5) srI rAmam – nArAyaNagowLa – Adi – muthuswAmi dIkshitar
6) sAmaja vara gamanA – hindOLam – Adi – thyAgarAja (AS)
7) nI dayachE – yadukulakAmbOji – Adi – thyAgarAja
8 ) eduTa nilachitE – shankarAbharaNam – Adi – thyAgarAja (AST)
9) jAnAti rAmam (viruttam) – jOnpuri
dasharata suta – jOnpuri – tisra Eka – vAnamAmalai jIyar
10) rAmanai bhajithAl – mAnD – Adi – pApanAsam sivan
11) kandugamada kariyai (viruttam) – rAgamAlikA (aTANA, mOhanam, hamsAnandi, sindhubhairavi, behAg, chenchuruTTi)
angai koDumalar – chenchuruTTi & nAdanAmakriyA – misra jampa & kanDa tripuTa – aruNagirinAtar
12) nI nAma rUpa mulaku (mangaLam) – sowrAshTram – Adi – thyAgarAja
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
Sri Sanjay, as usual, presented a beautiful concert. The mukhAri, hindOLam and shankarAbharaNam alapanais were too good. The shankarabharaNam alapana featured nottuswaram like patterns towards the end. Sri Sanjay seemed to almost sing the first two lines of “OsOsi” during the mukhAri alapana (or may be it seemed like that to my ears) and it gave a nice effect. Kalpana swarams were put at “munnavanE” in “vAraNa mukhavA“, at “vEda shirOmAtruja” in “sAmaja vara gamanaA” and at “tarAna dorakani” in “eduTa nilachitE“. Neraval and kalpana swarams were put in “enta rANi” at “shEshuDu shivuniki“. Sri S. Varadarajan was at his usual best.
Taniavartanam played by Sri Venkatesh and Sri Guruprasad comprised misra naDai followed by kuraippu in tisra naDai.
7 thoughts on “Sanjay Subrahmanyan @ Karpagam Gardens, Chennai”
A wonderful selection of Ragams.It seems Shri Sanjay Subrahmanyan has made it a habit not to do a Neraval in the main piece.
It was a great concert. I missed the varnam though. Yes, the Sankarabharanam alapana with nottuswaram-like pattern was superb.
Maybe since I have listened to TMK’s Sri raamam too many times, Sanjay’s singing it didn’t appeal too me much.
Sathej: Possible. Haven’t noted this.
Aparna: TMK’s “srI rAmam” was the one in my mind too when Sri Sanjay began singing it.
Sanjay rarely does neraval for the main piece. I had written it in my blog too earlier. One concert that I remember where he did a neraval for the main piece was the one where he sang Vazhi Maraitthirukkudhu in Nattakurunji.
Angai Kodumalar is not Tiruppugazh. Could any one tell me who is the composer of this and post the lyrics ?
Thanks in advance
I am not sure if this question about composer of “Angai Kodumalar” has been clarified already (if it has – my apologies for responding a year late): it is Thayumanavar (who else can such moving verse be from?)
Is it possible to get a recording of this concert? or at least, “Sri Ramam” (narayanagowla) and Angai Kodumalar?
Thanks in advance.