Venue: Sri Thiagaraja Sangeetha Vidwath Samajam, 5, Thiagarajapuram, Chennai
Date: 22 Apr 2007
Organizer: Sri Thiagaraja Sangeetha Vidwath Samajam (Sri Thiagaraja Jayanthi Concerts Series)
Vocal: Sri N. Vijay Siva
Violin: Sri R.K. Shriramkumar
Mridangam: Sri Manoj Siva
Khanjira: Sri B. Sreesundarkumar
List of songs:
1) sadA bAla rUpApi (slOkam) – hamsadhwani – Adi shankarAcArya
2) nAda tanumanisham – cittaranjani – Adi – thyAgarAja
3) ninnE nera – pantuvarALi – rUpakam – thyAgarAja (NS)
4) evarikai – dEvamanOhari – misra chApu – thyAgarAja (A)
5) srIpatE nIpada – nAgaswarAvaLi – Adi – thyAgarAja (AN)
6) graha balam Emi – rEvagupti – Adi – thyAgarAja
7) raksha beTTarE – bhairavi – Adi – thyAgarAja (AST)
8 ) nI dayacE – yadukulakAmbOji – Adi – thyAgarAja
9) Emani vEgintunE – husEni – Adi – thyAgarAja
10) nI nAma rUpa mulaku (mangaLam) – saurAshTram – Adi – thyAgarAja
11) swasti prajAbhyah paripAlayantAm (slOkam) – saurAshTram
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
Attending a concert at the samajam sitting in front of the sannadhi of Saint Thyagaraja is a different experience. Listening to an exclusive Sri Thyagaraja compositions concert there is blissful. When such a concert is presented by a great singer like Sri Vijay Siva, the experience becomes almost divine. The only crib was the poor audio system which started singing on its own from time to time.
The concert was very enjoyable and left me craving for more when it ended rather soon after 2 hours. I especially loved the nAgaswarALi piece. Sri R.K. Shriramkumar was his usual self accompanying very well for all the songs.
Tainavartanam played by Sri Manoj Siva and Sri B. Sreesundarkumar comprised of the chatusra and kanDa naDais followed by misra kuraippu and mOrA and kOrvai in tisra gati.