Venue: Raga Sudha Hall, 85/2, Luz Avenue, Mylapore, Chennai
Date: 12 June 2007
Organizer: Naada Inbam
Vocal: Vid. Amritha Murali
Violin: Vid. R. Hemalatha
Mrudangam: Vid. Erode Nagaraj
Ghatam: Vid. N. Guruprasad
List of songs:
1) ninnE kOri (varnam) – kAnaDA – Adi – tiruvOTriyUr tyAgayyA (O)
2) shankaram abhirAmi – kamalAmanOhari (manOhari) – rUpakam – muthuswAmi dIkshitar (S)
3) bhuvinidAsuDanE – shrIranjani – Adi – tyAgarAja (ANS)
4) kAmAkSi – bilahari – Adi – muthsuwAmi dIkshitar (AS)
5) brOvavammA tAmasamElE – mAnji – misra chApu – syAma sAstri
6) nenarunchinAnu – mALavi – Adi – tyAgarAja
7) dAsharathI – tODi – Adi – tyAgarAja (ANST)
8 ) nArimaNi (jAvaLi) – khamAs – Adi – dharmapuri subbarAyar
9) sacidAnanda rUpAya vishvOtpatyAdi hetavE (viruttam) – rAgamAlikA
krishnA nI bEganE bArO – yamunA kalyANi – misra cApu – vyAsarAya
10) nADi thEDi (tiruppugazh) – bAgEswari – ** (see below) – aruNagirinAthar
11) nI nAma rUpa mulaku (mangaLam) – saurAshTram – Adi – tyAgarAja
** each Avartanam of tALam for tiruppugazh was put as two tisra cApus followed by tisra ekam
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
Vid Amritha Murali is one artist who can always be banked upon to give a quality concert and this concert was no exception. She started the concert with a kAnaDA raga outline which led me to speculate on the possibility of hearing the kAnaDA aTa tALa varnam. Instead the kAnaDA Adi tALa varnam was sung beautifully in two speeds to some very good accompaniment from Vid Erode Nagaraj on the mrudangam. Then came “shankaram abhirAmi” – a song I heard for the first time from one of Vid Balaji Shankar’s audio releases. (The tape in that audio cassette had worn down because of my listening to the song so many times) Vid Amritha sang this song well and followed it up with exciting rounds of kalpanA swarams. All the other songs were rendered well too. Special mention must be made of “brOvavammA” and “krishnA nI bEganE” which were also embellished with some very good accompaniment especially from the percussion department.
Vid Hemalatha accompanied well on the violin. Vid Erode Nagaraj and Vid N. Guruprasad played taniavartanam in Adi tALam in catusra and tisra naDais for eDuppu of 0.5 beat before samam at “prakAshimpa jEsina rasika shirOmaNi” in the tODi kriti “dAsharathI“.
5 thoughts on “Amritha Murali @ Naada Inbam, Chennai”
Yes, I too was expecting the Ata Tala Varnam in Kanada.And after the detailed Thodi,I was expecting Kadannu Variki.But,Dasharathi was also well rendered.A good Manji,a nice Thodi and a melodious rendition of the Virutham.
Yes… was a good concert overall! I am looking forward to hear more of Amrita Murali and Erode Nagarajan.
Special mentions to Thodi, Manji, Bilahari and Sriranjani.
Oh! A surprise.Shri Sanjay’s concert on Monday!That too close by.
Yup !! Looking forward to it.