Venue: Raga Sudha Hall, 85/2, Luz Avenue, Mylapore, Chennai
Date: 18 Apr 2007
Organizer: Naada Inbam (SVK Birthday Concerts Series)
Vocal: Vid. Amrutha Venkatesh
Violin: Vid. Padma Shankar
Mrudangam: Vid. Tanjore Kumar
Ghatam: Vid. Pudukkottai Ramchandran
List of songs:
1) inta chAlamu (varnam) – bEgaDa – Adi – vINai kuppaiyer (0)
2) dhanyu devvaDO – malayamArutam – Adi – paTTaNam subramaNya iyer (OS)
3) nAma kusuma – srI – Adi – thyAgarAja (O)
4) rAmanAtham bhajEham – pantuvarALi – tisra Ekam – muthuswAmi dIkshitar (ANS)
5) tappaganE – sudha bangalA – rUpakam – thyAgarAja
6) pArthasArathI nI – yadukula kAmbOji – Adi – subbarAma dIkshitar (A)
7) ini oru kaNam – srIranjani – rUpakam – pApanAsam sivan (O)
8 ) jananI mAmava – bhairavi – misra chApu – swAti tiruNAL (ANST)
9) ? tuyaram tIra ayOddhi mAnagaril vandu (viruttam) – kalyANi
enakkun iru padam – rAgamAlikA – misra chApu – aruNAchala kavi
10) smara sundarAnguni (jAvaLi) – paras – Adi – dharmapuri subbarAyar
11) navasidhI peTrAlum – kharaharapriyA – misra chApu – nIlakanTa sivan
12) nI nAma rUpa mulaku (mangaLam) – saurAshTram – Adi – thyAgarAja
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
Sri SVK, when he was alive and in charge of Naada Inbam, ensured that he gave ample opportunities to youngsters who had talent and had attained a considerable level of expertise. In fact I have many times seen other sabha secretaries come to Naada Inbam concerts, listen to artists featured by Sri SVK and having convinced themselves of their talent, offer the artists a chance to perform in their own sabhas. One such artist who I think was encouraged a lot by Sri SVK is Vid. Amrutha Venkatesh. The young lady from Bangalore seems to be right on track to making it big in the field.
The fact that she has talent and has put in lots of hard work was evident right from the time she started the varnam. The pantuvarALi alapana only reinforced this. Vid. Padma Shankar played a nice alapana in reply. It would suffice to say that she handled every song with a maturity and confidence characteristic of singers with a lot of experience and that her alapana, neraval, kalpana swarams and kriti renditions underlined the fact that she is a great artist in the making.
6 thoughts on “Amrutha Venkatesh @ Naada Inbam, Chennai”
I had a chance to listen to her in Bangalore during the young artist concerts conducted by Nadasurabhi, Koramangala. While the accompanying artists were not to her caliber, she did perform very well. It is interesting to see that lot of talented young ladies in the scene.
Yes. It augurs well for carnatic music.
Where are the exclusive Shyama Sastry kutcheris being held?It would be great if you could give some details.It would be greater if they were in May,as right now I might find it difficult to go for kutcheris with my exams.
They are being held today:
6.00PM – Tanjavur Sankara Iyer @ Raga Sudha Hall
6.45PM – Gayathri Venkataraghavan @ Narada Gana Sabha Mini Hall
The second seems really great!But,I can’t go!!Thanks anyway.
Here is one more today:
6.30PM – R.K. Sriramkumar (Vocal) @ Nanganallur – exclusive Syama Sastri concert again I believe.